(11/18/16) Maycomb Editorial

Maycomb Tribune Editorial

By: Mr. Underwood

Recently during the Tom Robinson rape case, the man was moved to the Maycomb jail. However, of course, there have been some major conflicts about the situation. Last night, I got to witness one.

As most of you know, if not all of you, Tom Robinson, an African-American/black man, was accused of raping a white women. Usually when something like this happens, that person is sentenced right to death. This case has ended up differently since our very own Atticus Finch is defending the accused man.

Last night, Finch was waiting at the county jail. I spotted him as he seemed very calm and relaxed at the time. He was expecting something. Soon enough, a group of men showed up, demanding to see Robinson. They were after him and were fully ready to end the whole situation. Yet Finch stood firm and wasn’t going to move. This opened my eyes to something I’ve never thought of before.

There are two groups when it comes to racism – the ones who are always against the blacks, and the ones who wait to hear the truth first. I see why white people are always against the black ones. You never really hear anything good about them. Especially in a case like this, a terrible thing to have been done. I do believe that if you rape anybody, whether you are a girl or boy, you should be sentenced to death. There are other things to be considered, though.

When there are problems like this that you only hear about, you need to listen to the other side of the story before making a choice. Whether the person is black or white, no matter what race, you are suppose to listen to everybody who has a say in it. What if Tom Robinson has never seen that lady before in his life? What if he never committed that crime? Nobody would know because nobody has listened to what Tom has to say, only because he’s “black”. Atticus Finch has done an amazing job dealing with all the criticizing and all the talk going on about him. That man is the only person doing the right thing in this whole case. I feel like everybody needs to follow in Finch’s footsteps – including the jury – and listen to everybody’s point of view and side. Do you believe in this, or are you going to stick to the hate-group of hating blacks?

Christa Hopper

Period 8; 11/18/16